Pages

sábado, 9 de julio de 2011

Gotta do more, gotta be more!

"Carpe Diem," Keatings whispered loudly. "Seize the day. Make your lives extraordinary."

"Have no fear, you will learn what this school wants you to learn in my class; however, if I do my job properly, you will also learn a great deal more. For example, you will learn to savor language and words because no matter what anyone tells you, words and ideas have the power to change the world."



"I say-drivel! One reads poetry because he is a member of the human race, and the human race is filled with passion! Medicine, law, banking-these are necessary to sustain life. But poetry, romance, love, beauty? These are what we stay alive for!"


"You take a big risk encouraging them to be artist, John. When they realize that they're not Rembrandts or Shakespeares or Mazarts, they'll hate you for it."
"Not artist, George," Keating said. "You missed the point. Free thinkers."



"We thought it would be good to break old habits, sir, " he explained.
"What is wrong with old habits, Mr. Overstreet?"
"They perpetuate mechanical living, sir," Knox maintained. "They limit you mind."



"If you're sure about something," he said as they slowly returned to their seats, "force yourself to think about it another way, even if you know it's wrong or silly. When you read, don't consider only what the author thinks, but take time to consider what you think. You must strive to find your own voices, boys, and the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all. Thoreau said, 'most men lead lives of quiet desesperation.' Why be resigned to that? Risk walking new ground."



"Why do I stand here?" he asked.
"To feel taller?" Charlie suggested.
"I stand on my desk to remain myself that we must constantly force ourselves to look at things differently. The world looks different from up here.





"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life! To put to rout all that was not life. And not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Archivo